Barcelona manager Xavi has welcomed the court’s decision to overturn La Liga’s refusal to register Gavi as a first-team player.
The Blue Garnet midfielder, who has been in top form for the club this season, signed a new contract in September that saw him recognized as a first-team player rather than a member of the B-team.
But La Liga refused to register a new deal due to the club’s financial situation, with Barca exceeding the salary cap.
While Gavi could have continued to play this season for the senior team as a Team B player, he would have been registered in La Liga on a contract that expires in 2024 and has a €50m buyout clause, an agreement he signed in September, calculated until 2026 with a €1 billion buyout clause.
La Liga president Javier Tebas warned that the club would still be unable to sign Gavi and other players such as Ronald Aruajo because they were “over a €200m deficit”, he said on Monday.
But now a court ruling has reversed La Liga’s decision, delighting Xavi and paving the way for the 18-year-old to be fully registered as a member of their senior team.
“This is great news,” Xavi said. “That was one of the goals we set for this transfer window. Now the ball is in the side of La Liga.
“I’m happy for [Gavi]. We hope he can register. This is very good news for us. The priority is that important players like him are insured. It seems we can now register it.
“In fact, I don’t see him changing the team. He is very happy and happy here. I don’t see him leaving.”
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 31, 2023
Asked if he felt Tebas had a grudge against Barcelona, Xavi added: “I don’t know. Ask him.
“I know him very little. I greeted him twice. I have no personal business with him.”
Gavi made 18 appearances for Barça this season in La Liga and appeared in five of the six Champions League matches as the club were relegated to the Europa League.
He also played four times in the World Cup last year.