More

    Soccer News: Ronaldo admits Manchester United exit but calls lack of suitors ‘garbage’

    After a scathing interview, Cristiano Ronaldo admitted that the future of Manchester United is unlikely, although he called earlier reports of a departure “garbage”.

    The five-time Ballon d’Or winner caused a stir at Old Trafford after he lashed out at the club’s top management, current manager Erik ten Hag and former boss Ralf Rangnick.

    In an extensive interview with Piers Morgan on Talk TV, the Portugal international said he felt “betrayed” by United and stated that the club had not made “zero progress” since Alex Ferguson left in 2013.

    Amid a host of other complaints, Ronaldo suggested he might not be a United player again after the World Cup break with Portugal, who will start their Group H campaign against Ghana in Qatar next Thursday.

    “It’s hard for me, it’s hard to say that I won’t return to Manchester United. But no matter what, we’ll see what happens,” said the 37-year-old man.

    “Now it’s hard to say, because I’m in the mood for the World Cup now. This is probably my last World Cup, of course, my fifth World Cup.

    “I don’t know what will happen after the World Cup, but as I’ve told you before and I’ll say it again, the fans will always be in my heart.

    “I hope they never forget what I will continue to do. Not only in the past, but also in the present. Manchester will always be on my side, the fans will always be on my side.

    “It doesn’t matter what happens. When I came to Manchester United, I was always ready to help the team to do something good, to put them in the right position to compete with the best teams.

    “But it’s hard when your legs are cut and they don’t like it when you shine, and they don’t listen to your advice.

    “I think I have words to advise the club because trophies are both individual and collective. I think I can help a lot of people, but the infrastructure is bad.”

    Constant reports link the unstable Ronaldo to clubs such as Chelsea, Juventus and Atlético Madrid among Europe’s many elite clubs.

    Former team Sporting CP has been another touted name, along with Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich, although the ex-Real Madrid striker has denied numerous rumours.

    “What they have been saying for the past three months is complete nonsense and not true,” he added. “They say that they offer me this and that, and many presidents and directors talk about it, they refuse me.

    “This is a complete lie, they are lying. Because that’s not what happened. I have several clubs that want me to sign a contract and I didn’t go because I feel comfortable here.

    “I was motivated to have a great season here. But they keep repeating that no one needs Cristiano. How do they not want the player who scored 32 goals last year to be in the national team?

    While Ronaldo took aim at the rumors and at his current United employers, the striker insisted he had no doubts about his abilities.

    He continued, “This is a stupid question for me. What do people say? They are not the same. Nobody is the same, every day we get older. Each of us is fine. You must adapt.

    “And I don’t think anyone in this game has the kind of brain that adapts to their age. I do not want to be cocky to say that I am the same as I was in my 20s. Of course not.

    “I adapt and act smart to know my strengths, what I’m good at. I still play at a high level, score goals and will continue to score goals.

    “If my mind is clear and happy. And if I am surrounded by people, they help me to be a successful player, especially the coach, the president, the directors…

    “But when you feel like the energy around you isn’t going to help, it’s hard for you to be yourself, which is what happened to me.”

    Related articles

    Comments

    Leave a Reply

    Share article

    Latest articles