More

    Ronaldo´s reported Newcastle clause rubbished by Howe

    Eddie Howe has said there is no clause in Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Al Nasr that would allow him to join Newcastle United if they qualify for the Champions League.

    Five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo was introduced on Tuesday by Saudi club Al-Nasr after signing a two-and-a-half-year contract following his departure from Manchester United.

    The Portuguese striker has asked to be allowed to return to the Premier League with Saudi-backed Newcastle if they finish in the top four this season, according to reports on Monday.

    However, speaking ahead of Newcastle’s clash with Arsenal, Newcastle manager Howe denied that this was the case.

    “We wish Cristiano all the best in his endeavour, but from our point of view, this is not true,” Howe told Sky Sports.

    Ronaldo holds the record for most goals in Champions League history with 140 goals. He has won the competition once for United and four times for Real Madrid.

    Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Ronaldo effectively confirmed that he would not join another European club before retiring.

    “In Europe, my work is finished. I won everything and played for the most important clubs in Europe,” he said.

    “This is a great opportunity for me. [at Al Nassr]not only in football, but also to change the mentality of a new generation in Saudi Arabia.

    “I had many opportunities in Europe, Brazil, the USA and even Portugal, but I gave my word to this club for the opportunity to develop football in this amazing country.”

    Ronaldo, who also previously played for Sporting CP and Juventus, could make his Al Nasr debut against Al Tay on Thursday.

    Related articles

    Comments

    Leave a Reply

    Share article

    Latest articles