More

    Premier League News: Sterling returns home as police launch burglary investigation

    Surrey police have confirmed they are investigating a report of a burglary as England and Chelsea striker Raheem Sterling returns home from the World Cup in Qatar.

    The 27-year-old was not part of England’s round of 16 victory over Senegal on Sunday, with manager Gareth Southgate saying Sterling was heading home and told ITV: “Obviously the priority for him is to be with his family and we we’re going to support it.”

    England officials attributed it to a “family affair” before the game kicked off, with the BBC reporting a break-in at Sterling’s home in the London area on Saturday night.

    A statement released by Surrey Police on Monday confirmed that a burglary investigation in Oxshott, Leatherhead was under way.

    “Police were contacted shortly before 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 3, after the residents of the home returned home to find that a number of items, including jewelry and watches, had been stolen,” the statement said.

    “A check is underway to establish the circumstances, the investigation continues.

    “There were no threats of violence as the items were found to be retroactively stolen. The clarification of the circumstances continues. So far, no arrests have been made.”

    Surrey Police did not confirm if the incident was related to Sterling when they contacted Stats Perform.

    It remains to be seen if Sterling will make it back to Qatar in time to take part in the Three Lions quarter-final against France on Saturday.

    Related articles

    Comments

    Leave a Reply

    Share article

    Latest articles