Manchester United winger Anthony has been granted leave to answer allegations of violence against women made against him.
Earlier this week, the 23-year-old was dropped from the Brazil squad after allegations of physical aggression, repeatedly since January, against his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, which are being investigated by police and which he denies.
United agreed with the player to stay away from the club to focus on defending.
Anthony has not been arrested or charged and says he will cooperate with police to prove his innocence.
Update on Antony.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) September 10, 2023
United, fresh from dealing with the departure of Mason Greenwood from the club, said in a statement: “Manchester United accepts the allegations made against Anthony.
“Players who did not take part in international matches should return to training on Monday. However, it was agreed with Anthony that he would delay his return until further notice to deal with the charges.
“As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. “We recognize the importance of protecting everyone involved in this situation and recognize the impact these allegations have on victims of violence.”
United, who did not suspend Anthony, will continue to monitor the situation and Erik ten Hag has been consulted on the decision.
Anthony will remain on his full salary and hopes to return to the club as soon as possible.
“I have agreed with Manchester United that I will take a break while I review the allegations made against me,” he said in a statement.
“It was a mutual decision so as not to distract my teammates or create unnecessary controversy for the club. I want to maintain my innocence of what I am accused of and will fully cooperate with the police to help them get to the truth. I’m looking forward to getting back to playing as soon as possible.”