Manchester United capitalizes on errors to secure victory against Arsenal in New Jersey

    Manchester United capitalized on a pair of Arsenal missteps as newly appointed captain Bruno Fernandes and Jadon Sancho successfully kicked off their US tour.

    Erik ten Hag’s team finished third last season and took on the Premier League runners-up at Metlife Stadium on Saturday night, the potential host of the 2026 World Cup final.

    United came out victorious from the first meeting of the teams on American soil, Fernandes and Sancho struck in a 2-0 friendly victory over Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal.

    Gunners goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale was at fault in the first leg as Fernandes beat him too easily from a distance, just named Harry Maguire’s successor as captain.

    An air strike from Gabriel set up a superb second for Sancho as the striker rushed forward and smashed the near post in front of 82,262 spectators in New Jersey.

    Some of them had gone home by the time the prearranged penalty shoot-out took place after the final whistle.

    Both teams wanted to take the opportunity to work off their penalties in front of a large crowd, United won that as well, with Fabio Vieira taking a 5-3 win.

    United rookie André Onana warmed up with his new teammates, but watched from the stands as Arsenal lost top spot to Declan Rice and Yourrien Timber.

    The friendly got off to an intense start at East Rutherford, with Anthony pulling a botched shot wide before Gabriel Martinelli shot wide at the other end.

    The game rocked from end to end and Arsenal would have taken the lead in the 11th minute without Tom Heaton’s excellent reaction.

    Bukayo Saka fired a cross for Martinelli to parry a devastating shot that the United goalkeeper parried superbly before parrying the Brazilian’s shot.

    The early fury quickly faded in the summer heat when a goalie error brought the game back to life in the 29th minute.

    Heaton made a long pass to the impressive 18-year-old Kobby Mainoo, high on the right, who cut off the center and passed to Fernandes. The Portuguese took aim with a reassuring 25-yard shot that beat Ramsdale all too easily.

    In the 37th minute, the Arsenal goalkeeper snatched the ball out of the goal again.

    Gabriel’s dreadful aerial shot was picked up by Sancho, who shot on goal and kept his cool under pressure to fire into the top corner of the near post behind Ramsdale.

    Anthony had attempts to make a threesome score during the heated end of the first half.

    Lisandro Martínez was booked after a poor performance on Saka caused both sides to clash and Fernandes took the furious boss Ten Hag away from the officials at half-time.

    Amad Diallo was among United’s 10 newcomers at half-time but soon limped off with an injury.

    Arsenal made only one substitution at half-time and started well, narrowly missing one as Eddy Nketiah fired on goal from Martin Odegaard’s quick free-kick.

    Maguire left the Arsenal captain heaped in a tackle that resulted in him being shown yellow, but the game was cut short by a string of changes from both teams.

    Kai Havertz headed forward and Facundo Pellistri missed the mark as the clock ticked to a close and Brandon Williams jumped in to clear Emil Smith Rowe’s header off the line.

    United continued their friendly victory by taking the win in the ensuing penalty shootout.

    Related articles


    Leave a Reply

    Share article

    Latest articles