Frenkie de Jong’s future at Barcelona remains in doubt after a protracted saga leading up to the season.
The Dutch midfielder showed interest from Barcelona but wanted to stay at Camp Nou.
However, De Jong’s options were limited this season, which may have contributed to further betting.
MAIN STORY – LIVERPOOL COMES TO DE JONG FROM BARCELONA
Liverpool entered the race to sign the unsettled De Jong from Barcelona, says SPORT.
De Jong resisted outside interest United with a strong desire to play the Champions League football that Jurgen Klopp’s team has to offer.
Liverpool midfielders Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner all ended their contracts at the end of this season, with Arthur’s loan term also expiring, so the club is evaluating its options.
The Reds’ internal struggles could fuel January transfer activity, given their need to strengthen their midfield.
– Liverpool may try to steal Chelsea move for RB Leipzig Christopher Nkunku, claims The Sun. The Reds have sent scouts to watch the French striker take on Celtic in the Champions League midweek but fear Chelsea are far behind Nkunku and they missed the chance.
– Negotiations between Everton as well as Chelsea goal Anthony Gordon contract renewal stalled, reports The Sun. Gordon reportedly wants around £100,000 a week.
– Manchester United turned to Lautaro Martinezto Inter’s agent about the availability of the Inter forward, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The contract with Martinez runs until 2026, and Barcelona also interested.
– United joined Chelsea as well as Manchester in active interest in the Portuguese striker of AC Milan Rafael Leao, says The Mirror. United sent scouts to watch him face Chelsea in the Champions League.
– Chelsea Interested in Slovak national team Napoli Stanislav Lobotka, reports Calciomercato. Napoli and the midfielder are close to signing a new contract.
– Newcastle United began negotiations with the agent of midfielder Vasco da Gama Andrew Santossays Torcedores. Barcelona are also interested in the Brazilian, who has a release clause of £34.6m (€40m).