Chelsea’s newest striker, France international Christopher Nkunku, has undergone knee surgery that will keep him out of action for “a long time”, the London club said in a statement Tuesday.
“Nkonku has suffered a knee injury that will keep him out of action for a long time,” Chelsea said in a statement.
He added: “The 25-year-old has undergone surgery and will begin his recovery phase under the supervision of the club’s medical team.” The Daily Telegraph also reported that Nkunku’s absence from the stadiums would last about 4 months.
Nkunku, who missed the French World Cup in Qatar last year with a left knee injury, was injured during a friendly match against Borussia Dortmund during Chelsea’s US tour.
The news is seen as a big blow to Chelsea and their new manager, Argentine Mauricio Pochettino, especially as his team kick off the new season in the English Premier League this weekend with a strong encounter with Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.
And Nkunku joined Chelsea last June from German side RB Leipzig in exchange for an $80 million deal, while Chelsea suffered a big attacking futility last season as they agreed to score 38 goals in 38 matches. in the league and stopped at twelfth, his lowest ranking since 1994.