Sadio Mane could be sidelined for several months following the surgery that ended his illusory hopes of playing for Senegal in the World Cup.
On Thursday, the Bayern Munich forward underwent what his club called a successful operation.
Bayern said in a statement: “A tendon was attached to the head of his right fibula during surgery.
“Therefore, the Bayern forward will no longer be able to play for Senegal in the World Cup and will begin rehabilitation in Munich in the coming days.”
Mane’s recovery is unlikely to be quick, according to widespread reports in Germany, with the former Liverpool striker reportedly out of action for three to four months.
Sadio Mane underwent a successful operation in Innsbruck on Thursday evening. Therefore, he will no longer be able to play for Senegal in the World Cup.
All the best for your recovery, Sadio!
— FC Bayern Munich (@FCBayernEN) November 17, 2022
African Player of the Year Mane suffered a leg injury when Bayern defeated Werder Bremen 6-1 last week.
He was initially deemed fit enough to be included in Aliou Cisse’s 26-man Senegalese team for the World Cup with the hope that he could be available for the play-offs, but subsequent medical examinations confirmed the need for surgery.
The Senegalese Football Federation said in a brief statement: “FSF wishes a speedy recovery to its player Sadio Mane.”
Senegal will play the Netherlands in the first Group A match on Monday, before facing Qatar and Ecuador.
Bayern are due to resume their Bundesliga campaign against RB Leipzig on 20 January. They entered the World Cup break as leaders, chasing after an 11th consecutive German league title.
They will play in the 1/8 finals of the Champions League with Paris Saint-Germain, games in this heavyweight are scheduled for February 14 and March 8.